Raise your hand if you love shopping at the dollar store. 🙂 I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone that doesn’t enjoy the rush of filling up their cart with items and only paying $20 at checkout. For this article, I’m referring to a true dollar store, where everything is $1.
I’m guessing if someone doesn’t like shopping at the dollar store, it’s probably because they think the merchandise is not of good quality and will break easily.
Well, for some items that may be true, but here are 10 things I think you should always buy when shopping at the dollar store.
- Candy- Anytime I’m going to the movies, I always fill up on their boxed candy. I’m not even going to tell you how much those same boxes cost at the theater, because I’m sure you already know! It is also smart to purchase your Halloween candy here because it is much cheaper than getting it anywhere else.
- Toothpaste and Toothbrushes– Dollar stores usually carry name-brand toothpaste, so you can get a tube for $1 when it typically costs $3 in other stores. The same thing applies to toothbrushes. I am always able to find good, name-brand toothbrushes and have no problems with their performance.
- Books- You can get many types of books from the dollar store. They sell fiction, nonfiction, crossword puzzles, journals, coloring and activity books, and children’s books. I usually purchase books for book drives and birthday presents.
- Greeting cards– Unless you’re looking for a particular brand, purchasing greeting cards can save you a lot of money. Sometimes you can even find 2 cards in a pack for $1!
- Party supplies– If you’re planning a get-together or party, you’ll be able to find really good party supplies. The best items to buy are plates, cups, streamers, and balloons. I find the quality to be very good and the inflatable balloons will last for weeks!
- Office Supplies– You can’t beat purchasing binders, paper clips, binder clips, rubber bands, scissors,and push pins for $1. The prices for these items in other stores are outrageous! I can’t believe people pay those prices when you can get the same item for $1.
- Gift Bags– Anytime I have a party to go to or a gift to give, I go to the dollar store for gift bags. They have seasonal and birthday designs and are really well made. You can also purchase them in packs of 2 for $1.
- Wrapping paper– This is one of my favorite things to buy from the dollar store! The paper is always good quality and most of the time I find wrapping paper that has the lines to help you cut the paper straight.
- Containers & Bins- Storage containers are great buys because they are only $1. You are going to pay at least 5 times more than that at other stores. I’ve even been able to find air-tight containers. Don’t pass up their storage bins- they can help you organize the rooms in your house on a budget.
- Crafts for kids– There are so many crafts for kids for only $1. I like to stock up on crafts and pull a bunch of them out on rainy days or when my daughter tells me she’s bored. They are so cute and can keep us busy for hours!
So, there are my top 10 things to buy when shopping at the dollar store. I always make a point to pick up some of these items every time I’m there so I’ll always be prepared.
What are your favorite things to buy at the dollar store?
- How to Save Without Using Coupons
- Save With Coupons and Never Pay Retail Again!
- Learn How to Save Money at Target!