Tips for a Stress-Free Holiday Season

TIPS FOR A STRESS-FREE HOLIDAY SEASON

Now that Thanksgiving is behind us, it’s time to focus on the biggest holiday of the year…Christmas!

Just knowing that we are officially in the Christmas season brings on feelings of stress. We’re cooking and baking and partying and shopping and wrapping and traveling all within a month’s time.

Of course, we’re stressed! 😉

How to Have a Stress-Free Holiday

How to Have a Stress-Free Holiday

Well, here are a few tips for a stress-free holiday season:

1. If you plan on doing a lot of cooking and baking this season, take some time to create a shopping list of all the items you’ll need. Check your pantry and cabinets first to make sure you don’t purchase duplicates. Purchasing everything at once will help eliminate multiple trips to the store and dealing with massive crowds.
  2. While we’re making lists, create one for all of the gifts you plan to give this year. Try to include everyone-relatives, teachers, bus drivers, gift exchanges, newspaper and mail carriers. Assign an amount to each gift and that will give you your shopping budget. I use the app Christmas Gift List (free for Android) to keep track of the gifts I have purchased and still need to purchase. There is also a free similar app on iTunes called Gift List.
  3. Speaking of shopping…if you’d like to avoid the crowds, try shopping later in the evening or early in the morning. The crowds will be much lighter during those times.
  4. If you really don’t want to shop at the stores, purchase all of your gifts online. I use Ebates when shopping online because I earn cash back with every purchase. During the holidays you can earn up to 10% cash back and some stores offer even more! Click here to sign up and receive $10.
  5. During the holiday season, be very picky about the activities you participate in. Saying yes to everything that comes along will surely overwhelm you. Decide in advance which activities you will attend and devote the “empty” days/evenings to family activities (baking, watching holiday movies, wrapping gifts, etc) When invitations come in on those days, you can say you have plans and not feel guilty.
  6. Play holiday music as much as you can stand it! 🙂 Listening to holiday music is guaranteed to lift your spirits. Pandora is constantly playing in our home.
  7. Take some time to do something just for you. Take some time off of work, have someone watch the kids, and do something that makes you calm and happy.
  8. Last but not least…Relax and enjoy your holiday with family and friends.

Hopefully, reading this post is getting you into the Christmas spirit. The good thing is that now you have the tools to make it a stress-free holiday season! 🙂

How do you keep your stress level in control during the holidays?

Subscribe to SimpLeigh Organized to receive more time-saving tips. You’ll receive a free printable when you sign up!

Related Articles:

21 thoughts on “Tips for a Stress-Free Holiday Season

1. Natmari's Corner says:

Great tips! I do some of the tips you listed. I am the queen of lists. So I make lists for everything. lol Also, I like to end my day with a cup of tea. I do that every day, but doing the holidays it really helps me relax and de-stress. There’s nothing like Christmas music that helps reduce holiday stress.

2. Sherri Martinez says:

First, I love the new look of the site! It’s fresh and clean. This year we are purchasing most things online or did our research online. So when we go to the store, we know exactly what to get. I made a Google Spreadsheet to keep track of our budget 🙂

• SimpLeighOrganized says:

Thank you for your kind words regarding the new website design. I’m still getting used to it, but it’s growing on me. What a great idea to research the items before heading to the store. I bet you’re on a mission when you get there! Using a spreadsheet is another awesome way to keep track of the holiday budget. Thanks again for your comment. 🙂

3. Keri says:

Leigh, this is excellent advice. I actually got up early to go grocery shopping last Saturday just to avoid the crowds. I look forward to Christmas every year except for the crowded shopping. Thanks for this helpful advice, now I’m off to make my gift list…. 🙂

• SimpLeighOrganized says:

Hi Keri, I’m so glad you liked the post. I also love the Christmas season but can’t deal with the crowds. I like to do the majority of my shopping online on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. That way I can get cash back on Ebates or ShopAtHome. 🙂 When I do have to go into a store, I make sure it’s a time when it is not busy. Enjoy making your list!

4. sedrate organizes says:

I make the Master Gift List in October and hand make a lot of the gifts. This also makes sure I have enough cards to send to everyone. As for our family, my son has autism so we have to plan to space out events so that he isn’t over stimulated.

• SimpLeigh Organized says:

That’s a really good idea to start earlier. I always have aspirations to give handmade gifts but run out of time. Starting in October is great because it’s before we get overwhelmed with Thanksgiving plans. Thanks for your input…very helpful! 🙂

5. insearchofitall says:

Good tips. Lists are a life saver. I shop early in the day since I don’t go out at night. The folks with jobs have to do weekends and evenings so I go when they can’t. Naps are another good thing on a too busy list. Gives me two mornings in one day. I’m always refreshed and ideas come when resting. 🙂