There are 7 easy ways to save money at the grocery store. It’s all about changing your mindset towards savings.
Just by following these few simple tips, you will be able to dramatically reduce your grocery bill.
- Never go to the grocery store without a list and stick to the list! If you are shopping for the week, write down everything you will need for that week. Check your recipe books to make sure you have all the necessary ingredients on your list. When I am writing out my list, I always think: “What do I need for breakfast this week?”. Then I write down everything I need. Then I think, “What do I need for lunches?” and so on. While at the store, don’t pick up items that aren’t on your list-just add it to next week’s list.
- Don’t be loyal to particular brands-try the generic brands. Generics are cheaper than the store brands and many stores will give you double your money back if you are not satisfied with their brands.
- Don’t fall into the supermarket’s traps. Decoding supermarket sales can help you save a lot of money. If the sale states “10 for $10”, you don’t have to buy 10 items to get the sale. You can buy one item and pay $1 for it. If the sale is a little trickier like 3 for $5, calculate how much one item would be ($1.67) and determine if that is a good price to pay.
- Unless you are using coupons, it is usually better to get the larger item. Always compare the unit price found on the sticker. It will tell you if purchasing the smaller item is a better deal. (You are sometimes better off buying the smaller item if the smaller item is on sale or if you are using coupons.)
- Take cash to the store. Taking cash to the store will keep you on budget and will stop you from buying items that are not on your list. If you pay with a credit or debit card, you will spend about 12% more than if you paid with cash.
- Shop around for the best deals. You will be able to save more money if you are able to shop at 2 or more different stores. Certain stores are known for great sales on specific items. If you look at the store’s weekly circular, you can see what items they have on sale. Consider purchasing personal care products at drugstores, Wal-Mart or Target. Supermarkets have the highest prices for personal care products.
- Clip coupons. Of course, I wasn’t going to let you off that easy! Clipping coupons will definitely save you a lot of money on groceries and it doesn’t have to take much time. Allot a certain amount of time each week to clip and organize your coupons. It’s free money!
As you can see, shopping wisely and following these easy tips can help you save big money when shopping for groceries.
What savings tips do you have to add?
Be sure to subscribe for more money-saving tips. You’ll receive a FREE printable when you sign up!
- Coupon Basics-See How Much I’ve Saved!
- Organize Your Coupons to Maximize Savings
- Never Pay Retail Again!