Quick and Easy Tips to Organize Your Bookcase

Organizing your bookcase shouldn’t take much time and is something that can be accomplished within an hour (if you stay focused 😉 ) Read on for quick and easy tips to organize your bookcase.

quick and easy tips to organize your bookcase

Photo credit:

First, you will need to empty the bookcase and give it a good cleaning.

As you remove the books, weed out those you no longer need or want. Put them in a pile to sell or donate.

Sort the remaining books in categories on the floor. You can sort them by topic, color, by the book’s size or you could choose to sort them alphabetically…whichever works best for you.

When sorting the books, be sure to place the larger books on the bottom of the pile and smaller books on the top.

Related: Organize the Bathroom on a Budget

Ok, now the fun begins!

I believe that bookcases should “breathe”. That means that bookcases should not be full of books, but should have some sort of personality.

Take a walk around your home and collect items to display in your bookcase. Look for large, heavy items to use as bookends and smaller items to place between books. You can use vases, picture frames, plants, or anything you would like to display.

Don’t worry too much about the color scheme. Your books will be colorful, so your accessories can be also.

Now you can begin filling your bookcase. Place books upright with the spine facing out. Taller books go towards the edges of the bookcase and shorter ones are towards the center. Leave space open between the two sets of books for a display piece.

You can also mix it up by placing books upright and on their sides.  Try placing small items on top of the horizontal books to add visual interest.

Another option is to fill your shelves 75% and use accessories to fill in the remaining 25%. One shelf would begin on the right and leave the left side open for display, another shelf would begin on the left and leave the right side open.

Related: The Best Way to Organize Your Pantry

Be sure to change the way the books are displayed on each shelf so it doesn’t look too matchy-matchy.

Here’s a great tip to follow when placing your accessories on the shelves: Always think in odd numbers and apply it to 2 of the shelves. Example: Place 3 accessories on one shelf and then place 2 on the shelf above or below it. This trick helps balance the bookshelf and keeps it from having a boring feel.

If your bookcase is in a spot where there are small children, consider putting baskets on the bottom shelf to house toys.

As you can see, following these quick and easy tips to organize your bookcase won’t take much time and your room will feel more organized once you are finished.

How do you organize your bookcase? Do you have any tips to add? Let me know in the comments!

Click here to download a copy of my FREE weekly cleaning printable!

Follow SimpLeigh on Facebook and Pinterest for more organizing ideas!

10 thoughts on “Quick and Easy Tips to Organize Your Bookcase

  1. o0india0o says:

    Great Post! I think everything in the house can be functional and fabulous, and I believe you’ve proven that point in this blog posting.

    I also like to purchase a bag full of books when the local libraries have their sales, and look for old, unique, or colorful books (if my current collection of books is not “vibrant” enough for my liking). This adds a punch of color to your display, if it is currently lacking. When choosing book colors, don’t forget to consider the color scheme of the room!

    That would be my tip.

    P.S. Thanks for visiting my blog! It seems we have similar themes; it was nice seeing a blog I could relate to.

  2. Kim Hood says:

    Thanks for visiting me at Curtain Queen. I enjoyed visiting you, as well, and am following you now. I’ll be back when I have more time to read through more posts. Good stuff, girl! Happy Sunday. 🙂
    His blessings,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *