Today I’d like to post 7 quick steps to organize your entire home. This post will be a collection of quick tips to get you started and in future weekly posts I will go into more detail by discussing each room of the house.
Your home should be a place of rest and rejuvenation. If you’re buried in clutter, I’m sure you and your family are not excited to come home every day.
Here are 7 quick steps to get you started on the road to organization:
- Start by keeping a trash can in each room (office, kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms). This will help you discard trash right away and not set it down on a counter or worse, the floor!
- Until you are able to get to some serious organizing, don’t bring any new items into the house. You might start finding items you thought you lost or didn’t have… they were just buried or put away somewhere forgotten. Wait until you organize the items you currently own before purchasing any new items. Remember, the more things you have, the more things you have to take care of. Less is more!
- Place a recycling bin/trash can and shredder wherever you collect the mail. You can immediately shred or trash the mail you don’t intend to read. Place the mail you’d like to keep in a basket or tray to be sorted later.
- Do a quick pick up each day. Each night before bed, do a quick run through of the house and put things where they belong. Have the kids help as well if their things are laying around. Set a timer for 10-15 minutes, then enjoy the rest of the evening. In our house we live by the expression “Everything Has a Place”. If you keep this saying in mind, it will help you maintain order in your home. Everything that enters your home must have a home of its own…if you use something, put it back when you are finished with it. It may seem like more work to stay on top of things, but in the long run it will save you a lot of time and stress. If you don’t tend to the objects in your life, they can easily turn into clutter.
- Place hampers in everyone’s closet or bathroom. This will eliminate the need to throw dirty clothes and towels on the floor and will make laundry day that much easier.
- Put a hook near the entry door. Hang your keys on the hook when you enter the house and then you can just grab them on the way out!
- Ask for help! You are not the only person in your house capable of tidying up. Keeping the house in order should be everyone’s responsibility. Teach everyone how to pick up after themselves and the load should feel just a little bit lighter.
If you commit to following these 7 quick steps to organize your entire home, I am sure you will start to feel the stress of clutter begin to melt away. You and your family will begin to feel calmer and possibly more connected. Hopefully this feeling will inspire you to tackle the entire house…a little at a time…room by room.
What daily tip does your family implement to keep clutter under control? Share them in the comments! 🙂
- 10 Clever Ways to Organize Your Home
- Organize a Small Laundry Room
- The Best Way to Get Your Family Organized