- Look for ways to reduce your energy bills. Monitor and adjust your thermostat, run your washing machine and dishwasher only when they are full and turn off and unplug electronics when you are not using them.
- Pay with cash instead of debit and credit cards. You will automatically spend less if you have to part with your cold, hard cash.
- Eat out less. Limit how often you eat out, but when you do, skip the appetizer, dessert and alcohol. These items are way overpriced. Also, look for ways to save at the restaurants.
- Clip and use coupons to save money on groceries and personal care items. If you’re not into couponing, at least look at the front page of your grocery store’s circular and buy those items. They are the store’s “loss leaders” which means they are priced at a loss to the store, but are a great deal for you! Stores use this tactic to lure you into the store to purchase other higher-priced items.
- When you need to have a prescription filled, ask your doctor to allow the generic brand. Many places will fill generic antibiotics for free. For other prescriptions, fill them through a mail-order pharmacy and you will pay much less than filling them at your local pharmacy.
- Think about ways to earn extra money. Consider things you like to do and go from there. You will enjoy it more if it is something you are passionate about. Examples: Dog sitting, baby-sitting, selling items on EBay or Amazon, retail sales, coaching or refereeing a sports team, selling cosmetics or kitchen goods… The sky’s the limit! 🙂
- Contact your credit card companies and see if you can negotiate lower interest rates. This will decrease your monthly payment while putting extra money in your pocket.
- Try to find bills you can eliminate or reduce. Actions like stopping Netflix and Hulu memberships, downgrading your cable services, raising the deductible on your auto insurance policy (only if you have the deductible amount saved up), changing your cell phone plan and cancelling your gym membership (if you are not using it) can help you save a lot of money.
So, there you have it: 8 quick & easy ways to save money! What are your favorite ways to save money?