Ok. Here’s something I had not heard of until recently. Maybe I’d been living under a rock or something, but it is a wonderful idea!
It’s called a Capsule Wardrobe. Have you heard of this before?
Basically, building a capsule wardrobe is a process where you organize your clothes by selecting a few key pieces and then using those pieces to create multiple outfits.
Creating a capsule wardrobe will ensure that you don’t overspend each season on clothing and eliminates the “I Have Nothing To Wear!” panic we feel quite often.
So here are the steps to create your capsule wardrobe:
- Decide on the type of clothing and how many you will need. Be sure to include the following items: dress pants, little black dress, jeans, t shirts, sandals, ballet flats, high heels, boots, purses, blazers, sweaters, shorts, skirts, button down shirts, regular shirts, jackets, scarves, coats and tanks. (Of course you will eliminate items if you know you don’t need them or add items if I don’t have them on the list)
- Next decide on a color scheme. Select 2 colors for items like pants, skirts, purses and shoes. These colors should be able to mix and match with most other colors. Black, gray and navy are usually good picks.
- Now select two other colors to act as accents to your wardrobe. They will be the colors for your tops, shirts, sweaters, etc.
- When purchasing items, stay within your preselected color choices and all of your clothes will be able to play nicely together and you will always have an outfit for any occasion! 😉
Some people like to create a capsule wardrobe for each season (3 month period) and others prefer to create a spring/summer and a fall/winter capsule wardrobe.
Ideally, you should have about 35 items per season and you can carry items over from season to season, if needed.
I am really loving this idea and have already gone through my clothes and organized them this way. It has helped me see that there are clothes that I own that really don’t connect with anything else, but I also noticed that I gravitate towards certain colors each season.
Check out Pinterest for more ideas on creating your own capsule wardrobe.
Have you heard of this concept before or am I the last one to find out about it? If you organize your clothes this way, let me know how it’s working out for you! 🙂
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE FOR UPDATES AND RECEIVE A FREE WEEKLY CLEANING PRINTABLE!!
- 7 Steps to Organize Your Entire Home
- The Easiest Ways to Control Clutter
- 5 Common Organizing Mistakes