When we bought our home almost 7 years ago, I was set on keeping it so clean that it would always look new. Well, I have now given up trying to keep my house spotless and instead work towards keeping my house “Guest Ready”.
I remember reading a website that asked if your house was full of CHAOS (Can’t Have Anyone Over Syndrome)!
My goal now is for my house to be “clean enough” so that unexpected guests can stop by and I don’t feel embarrassed by clutter or dirt.
Here are 10 simple daily cleaning tips that I follow to keep my house free from CHAOS :
- Make your bed each morning. Have each family member make theirs as well. A bedroom appears to be much cleaner when the bed is made and you can feel like you have accomplished something early in the day.
- After showering, spray the door or liner with a daily shower cleaner, then squeegee the door. This will help keep the bathroom looking cleaner, longer.
- Keep cleaning rags and cleaner near each sink and give the sinks a quick wipe. Doing this daily will eliminate any buildup and will help the room look much cleaner. Touch up the mirrors, if needed.
- If you have small children, a good practice is to wipe the toilet rim and seat daily and the floor around the toilet, if needed.
- Take your shoes off when you enter your home. This will help to keep your floors and carpets clean and discourage tracking germs and pollutants into your home. Put a basket or shoe rack near the door or in the coat closet to keep shoes in order. Once the basket or shoe rack becomes full, have everyone take their shoes up to their room and start with a clean slate. Try to keep everyday shoes accessible at all times in case you need to leave the house quickly.
- Fluff sofa pillows and fold throws. This small act can make your family room appear neat and tidy.
- After meals, have each family member scrape their plates and put their dishes directly into the dishwasher, not in the sink. Everyone in your household that is over the age of 6 should be able to follow this rule. It shouldn’t be up to one person to clear the table and load the dishwasher. Everyone should help out to keep the household running smoothly.
- After meals, wipe down the kitchen table with a moist cloth. This will allow the table to remain clean and clear for art projects, games and homework. A clean and clutter-free table translates into a clean kitchen.
- After dinner, wipe down the kitchen counters and stove top and run the dishwasher.
- Before the kids go to bed, set a timer for 15 minutes and have everyone put items back to their proper place. Having less to pick up when the kids go to bed will allow you more time to relax at the end of the day.
There you have it! If you follow these 10 simple tips daily, your house will look and feel much cleaner and will always be “Guest Ready”.
Take a good look at the list again and see if there are items that can be delegated to other family members. You are not the only person responsible for keeping your house neat and tidy. In our house, everyone has specific jobs to do and I believe we feel closer because we are all working towards a common goal
What are your daily tips for keeping your house free from CHAOS? Feel free to comment, I’d love to know!